Who doesn't love cake, right? We all want our families to love what we make. We don't all need to prefect our baking for our family to love our cakes. Make your Cake mix taste Incredible with some simple Swaps!!
Here are a few of my Favorite No Fail swaps to make your cake mixes Taste Great!
- Buttermilk or milk : replaces water , adds volume, density , flavoring
- 2 Tbs - 1/4c Mayo : this is just an addition to the other ingredients this make your cake taste more homemade
- Adding a pudding packet and 1cup Sour Cream an addition to other ingredients can add needed moisture
- Using butter in place for your oil is a flavor enhancer, it adds richness.
- And 1-2 extra eggs yolks: make for a richer cake. The extra yolks add density and moisture.
- 1-2 Tbs of Flavoring makes taste more homemade.
- The flavor agents in the box mix are old and tend to lose flavor as they sit on the store shelves
- 1/8-1/4 cup of Ice Cream make a cake taste rich this would be flavoring corresponded to cake mix.
- For Chocolate Cake Mix use Hot water for the Water: it allows the Chocolate to bloom therefore producing a deep chocolaty flavor.
- Sprinkle the top with Sugar: This is a Top Secret trick: Listen closely. Sprinkling the top with SUGAR not only gives it a sweet crunchy texture but the weight of the sugar prevents the cake from rising too much while it bakes.
- Pour the cake batter into two cake pans and sprinkle the top with sugar. It’s important for your cake to rise but you don’t want it to rise too much or you will have to cut off a lot of it when you begin to layer it
Fun Ways to Use Cake Mix
Apple Pie Spice : Use a spice Cake Mix , 3eggs, 1 Can Apple Pie Filling mix then top with a 1/4cup Sugar mixed with 1/2tsp cinnamon , 1/4 nutmeg mixture then Bake
Banana Bread : Yellow cake mix , mix ingredients ,3-4 Overripe Banana
Pumpkin Cake : Yellow cake mix, cake mix ingredients add these 1 tsp Cinnamon. 1/2 tsp Nutmeg, 1/4tsp Ground Clove, 15 oz can of Pumpkin Puree. Bake as instructed
Cherry or Strawberry Cheesecake Cake Bars: Yellow cake mix, 2 1/2c Quick Oats, 3/4c Butter,Pie Filling in choice Flavor. Oven 375 Mix together the cake mix, oats, butter until no more dry mix is left. press out evenly into a pan then top with the pie filling. Use the remain dry mixture to top as a crumble then Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Cake mix Cinnamon rolls : Yellow cake mix, 2 1/2-3c Flour, 1 Packet of regular active dry yeast, 1 1/2c warm water, 1/4c of melted cooled butter, 1/2c packed brown sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon 1 Tub of Betty Crocker Cream cheese Frosting.
- Grease a 13x9 or 2:9 inch pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine mix, 1c flour and the yeast. Add the water , stir with a spoon until forms a ball. Add the remaining flour, 1/4c at a time stirring after each addition, until forms a soft dough ball. you may need all of the flour. Cover with plastic let rise for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375. Meanwhile melt butter and in a small bowl mix with brown sugar and cinnamon until a spreadable consistency. On a lightly flour surface roll out dough into a rectangle piece then brush with butter mixture add raisin if you want. Then Roll up starting with long end tightly. Cut into 12-14 rolls, let rise for 30 minutes. Then bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Spread with frosting and serve warm or at room temperature.
Any Flavor Muffin Mix Base: Cake mix, 2 Tbs Flour, 3 eggs, 2/3C Milk, 1/3c Vegetable oil, 1 Tbs Baking Powder: Bake for 25 minutes At 325 degrees
- Chocolate Muffin can be Chocolate cake mix, above ingredients then add 1 1/2c chocolate chips ( I like the mini)
- Blueberry Muffins use white cake mix, above ingredients then add a 12-16oz of frozen blueberries or fresh that have been tossed with 2 Tbs flour( this keeps them from sinking to bottom )
- Cinnamon Streusel: Use spice cake mix add above ingredients then topped with a Streusel Mixture made up of cold Butter, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon. Then bake all these as above instructions
Applesauce Cake: Yellow cake mix, 1 1/3c Applesauce, ( I like cinnamon) 3 eggs, 1/2c butter melted, 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Apple Pie spice mix then Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Top with a simple Powder Sugar Glaze: 1 C Powder Sugar, 1tsp Vanilla , a little milk 1tsp at a time until get a drizzle consistency. Top the cake with it and Volia!!!